Saturday, July 19, 2014

Michigan Love


One of the coolest things about traveling is experiencing different places through the eyes of close friends and family. Come to think of it, there are seldom times I go to a place and have the experience I want to without knowing, or meeting someone that lives and exists there to show me what their place, their home, their hole, corner, and community is all about.

Then, if you're lucky, that person will share their venue, zone, city, hangout, and abode with you to a point where you feel like it's your own. To a point where you feel like a local, feel like this place is yours too.

There are lots of places in the world I feel this way about, sure I may have never technically lived there, but due to the kindness of others while I was there, I feel like I could, and if I did, I would do it right.

Of all these places, Michigan is one of them, but in a different way than the rest because Michigan really is a home for me now. It is where the people I share a name with reside... (which is a different place than it was a year ago, which is kinda crazy to think about). It is a place I know we can always go as a refuge from the world. Pretty cool.

So, as I've been getting to know this new home, these are a few of my favorite things....Lakes, beer, and fish. Yep, I think that about sums up Michigan. Let me explain...

First of all, the lakes.... I know that Minnesota is taking the “ten thousand lakes” claim and all, but Michigan has a little somethin somethin too. Three of the top five largest lakes in the world. Yes, I did say world by the way, not country, world.

This last month we made it to the smallest of the three, Lake Michigan, for my first time. They call it the third coast I assume because of the vast beautiful sandy beaches all along the shore. 


A visit to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, is your typical national park experience. Unbearably crowded and hectic in the parking lot....


...but take the time to hike half a mile in and you have the place and views all to your self. 



Another great lake we visited on this trip was Superior. Wow, what amazing remote beaches and dramatic cliffs. While you have to put in the effort to find them, I'm glad we did. The upper peninsula is an escape, and the seashore is just pure desolate if in the right place. 





Beer has definitely been a theme on this trip, we have been to some of the most beery places in the country... While many of these places seem to be just getting into the beer revolution, Michigan was one of the states that started it. Of course we went to the expected classic breweries... Shorts, Founders... but my favorite beer find in Michigan came from Blackrocks Brewery way up der in Marquette. They made a Honey Lavender Wheat which is the second lavender beer I have found on the road, and my favorite beer on the trip so far. The lavender seems to let the brewer pull off an extremely floral but still dry beer. So delicious. You'll have to make it to Marquette sometime for a taste.



Next, fishing. Midwest fishing is an experience into itself. It combines all my favorite things about Michigan, the lakes, the beer, and of course, fishing. Everyone’s on reels, and catching a lot. The charters pay off as well as the private trips with Captain Bill LaForge.









Outside of all the beer, fishing, and laking, what makes Michigan so special (for me at least) is our family. It's that in between alllll the running around, there is also the down time with a big kitchen to cook big meals, beds to take naps, a fridge stocked with local beer, and always someone to place a hand of cards with.

So here is a thank you to Liz for helping me make pies... 




Bill for always being so concerned about us going fishing and having good beer stocked in the fridge for when we arrive... 


Allie for all the sisterly love... 

and the rest of the family for always keeping me on my toes!


As I reflect on my thoughts about traveling and the importance of seeing a place through the eyes of a local inhabitor, I think about how I could be better about being that person for travelers I meet in my homes... I think about how important it is for us to build bonds across the world to maintain peace, acceptance, and a thriving human race. I think about how one of the best ways we can accomplish that is by gaining a better understanding of eachother, where we're from, what we do and why. And how do we do that? Travel. So in your home or homes for that matter, when you meet someone that took the time to visit and try to learn more about you and your place, while sometimes it may be hard, be the person to show the traveler what it takes for your home to be theirs too.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this matter. Agree or disagree? Stories to share about any positive or negative traveling experiences relating to this topic?

Well, that's all I have for now! Here are a few more throw back pics documenting all of our side jaunts that I didn't get to in this write up!









In the beautiful state of Montana now and will have lots of stories to share in a week or so!

Love you all,
Annette and Jeff



No comments:

Post a Comment